December 3, 2009 is the 25th Anniversary of the Bhopal Disaster and we need your help to bring it to the forefront: in your local community, among your friends and in the media.
What can you do to take action on Dec 3? Sign up to take direct action in your community!
If you can’t take direct action in your community, here are some other ways you can help make the 25th Anniversary the day that the Survivors of Bhopal see justice:
- Call Board members of the Dow Chemical Company, the company liable for the ongoing contamination and for sending their subsidiary, Union Carbide, to face criminal charges in Bhopal.
- Tell them: “My name is ___ from ___ and I am calling ___ who is a Dow Board Member to say that Dow must face their liabilities in Bhopal. When your company purchased Union Carbide, you took on all their liabilities. Compensation to all affected individuals is both Dow’s legal and moral responsibility. I am encouraging you to address your liabilities and immediately clean up the site. Stop harboring a fugitive on U.S. soil and send Union Carbide to face the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court in Bhopal.”
- Board Members:Andrew Liveris, CEO, 989-636-1752; Arnold A. Allemang, (989) 636-1000; Jacqueline K. Barton, (626) 395-6075; John B. Hess, (212) 997-8500; Geoffery E. Merszei, (847) 615-8941; James M. Ringler, (847) 615-8774; Paul G. Stern, (301) 869-7007
- Take action online: Send emails to Dow Chemical Company and to the Prime Minister of India telling them both to end 25 years of injustice.
- Spread the word online: just copy and paste into your social networks or email!
- On Facebook, set your status to “End 25 years of injustice. Take action for survivors of the Bhopal disaster: http://www.studentsforbhopal.org/bhopal25”
- On Twitter, follow the action at Justice4Bhopal and with the #bhopal25 hashtag , and set your status to: “RT @Justice4Bhopal End 25 years of injustice. Take action for Bhopal: http://bit.ly/6haEc1 #bhopal25”
- Email your friends, family and colleagues: “Please, take action to end 25 years of injustice in Bhopal, India–the site of the world’s worst industrial disaster.”
- Donate: Make sure the memory of Bhopal isn’t buried before survivors find justice – support the International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal!
Make sure to come back to this site on December 3, 2009 to report back and tell us about your action!
Organize a Direct Action
Online action is great, but if you can organize a direct action in your community, you can make an even bigger impact.
- Direct Action! Organize a die-in in your town or campus; hold a protest or rally at a Dow facility near you.
- Educational Action! Hold a candle-lit vigil or film screening on your campus.
- Individual Action! Don’t have a group to organize with? Well, take action that day by Dumping your Dow, wearing a Bhopal campaign shirt, calling Dow, and more!
If you would like to join an action that is taking place, check out the Map of local groups organizing 25th day of Action!
We've put together a toolkit that give you action ideas. It has lots of helpful resources, from background information to action planning tools to help you organize an action, including media resources.