2012 Bhopal Conference
Register for the 8th Annual North American Bhopal Conference!
WHEN: Sat Oct. 6 & Sun Oct. 7, 2012 (with social event Friday evening)
WHERE: MIT in Cambridge, MA
Register Here Now!
Early Bird Registration: Register on or before September 12 and the fee is $35 for professionals and $20 for students. Registration Deadline: Everyone must register by October 1! After September 12, the fee is $50 for Professionals and $35 for students.*
The conference costs ICJB up to $70 per person. Everyone who wants to attend the conference, regardless of financial means, has the right to do so. Please let us know if you will need the fee waived or reduced. Please pay the fee by donating to ICJB via PANNA's website, our fiscal sponsor, and typing "2012 Convention" in the special comments box. You may also pay by check or cash at the conference itself.
What is this conference all about?
Our eigth annual conference is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, October 6 and 7 2010 at MIT in Cambridge, MA. The Bhopal Conference isn't just a ton of fun; it is also an opportunity for activists, allies, students, and supporters of the Bhopal campaign to meet, strategize, and discuss our plans for the year ahead. This year, the conference will be better than ever, with guest speakers, and in-depth conversations about improving our work.
Why should you attend?
The annual Bhopal Conference is the place to be if you want to meet Bhopal supporters from around North America, get jazzed about the campaign, and learn more about how to carry the campaign forward.
Need more reasons? These are a few of the reasons why we organize this conference:
- To provide information: the current status in Bhopal, campaign strategy, campaign history, Dow's vulnerabilities, legal issues, the US structure and organization, our victories, Q & A, etc.
- To provide skills and experience: shared experience session, skills trainings
- To provide an opportunity to bond: as individuals, as an organization
- To get feedback on our strategic framework: for future planning, for our goals, for our structure.
- To create cohesion: as an organization, among its members
How do I get there?
The Conference will be held at the Massachusettes Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA. Participants are strongly encouraged to arrive on Friday (5th) as there will be (optional) activities planned, and because the conference will start early on the morning of the 6th.
Travelling by air: if you are flying, please fly to Logan International Airport (airport code is BOS).
Public Transportation: Public transportation in the Boston area is very easy. It will be easy for you to get to the conference or to your host's home by MBTA (Metro Boston Transportation Authority). If you are in the northeast, you may want to consider taking Amtrak instead of flying.
What Should You Bring?
A few things:
- A sleeping bag & pillow
- A plate or bowl, mug, and silverware - we want to reduce the waste from the conference!
- Clothes (obviously!)
- Money (if you want to pay your registration fee in cash, also you may also want to splurge on the fun Bhopal-related t-shirts and resources available there. You will need to pay for some meals yourself).
- Personal toiletries & medications
- Notebook & pens/pencils
- Water bottle
- Reading material (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Alarm clock (optional but useful; our days will start early!)
- An open mind, healthy sense of humor (very important), and spirit of adventure
Please note that most meals, and all accommodation at the conference will be provided! If you have family or friends in the Boston area that could provide housing, please email email@example.com!
What's the Conference Schedule?
The full schedule will be given to attendees. But, to give you a sneak peak, here is a list of the workshops being planned:
- Special guest speakers and trainers
- Talking to activists on the ground in Bhopal
- Updates on the busy year we've had.
- Legal Eagles on Bhopal: The Latest Developments in the Court Battles and How They Shape the Campaign
- What Do OUR Communities Need to Know About Bhopal? Developing local and global efforts for recruitment, leadership development, and coalition building.
- Bhopal & Me: Sharing Experiences From Bhopal & Across North America. Never Doubt That a Small Group of Thoughtful, Committed Citizens…
Questions? Email: justice[at]icjb[dot]org
*The ICJB North American Advisory Board along with the Conference Planning Committee has decided that the conference will not be open to members of the media.